The week before Christmas is one of my favorite times of the entire year. Holiday festivities are in full swing and in my house, this includes a LOT of baking. I love trying new cookie recipes so I thought I would share my favorite with you guys 🙂 Here’s a quick and easy recipe for “Christmas crack”!
Saltine crackers (enough to line your pan, about 50)
2 sticks salted butter (= 1 cup)
1 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Milk chocolate chips (enough to cover all of your crackers)
- Pre-heat oven to 400F and line a baking pan with aluminum foil. *make sure the pan has sides* Spray the pan with baking spray and layer the saltine crackers in a single layer so that they cover the entire pan.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and then mix in the brown sugar. After mixing in the sugar, keep the mixture over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes stirring constantly.
- Once the mixture starts to boil, remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour the mixture over the saltine crackers and spread to coat the crackers evenly.
- Place the pan in the oven for 5 minutes. In a bowl, microwave the chocolate chips until they become melted.
- Remove the pan from the oven and once the mixture has stopped bubbling, pour the chocolate evenly over the crackers. Use a spatula to evenly coat. **
- Move the pan to the fridge overnight and after removing the pan and foil, crack the “sheet” with your hands or a knife.
**To make it a little more personal, after spreading the chocolate evenly onto the crackers you can add sprinkles, sliced almonds, shredded coconut, etc.